Thursday 3 November 2011

There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life

So, Monday night was Halloween. I didn't fulfil my fantasy of stealing a baby for the day to dress it up as a Big Mac but I did celebrate the night by heading to the cinema for a special one-day-only screening of The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Unfortunately for me, it wasn't one of the epic singalong, dress up as Magenta type screenings, but it was still bloody amazing. Sitting there watching Rocky Horror in its full-screen glory reminded me of so many things: my love for the movie, the genius of Richard O'Brien, and just how much some of those lyrics shaped my childhood.

Over At The Frankenstein Place is, without a doubt, my favourite song from Rocky Horror. More specifically, the line (and title of this blog) "there's a light in the darkness of everybody's life" is my favourite lyric from Rocky Horror. Yes, Time Warp is fun, and Sweet Transvestite is the best character entrance in a film ever, but that one line has stuck in my head for years (which feels odd to say given that I'm only 20). I think it's possibly because of the positivity of it. Or it could be that it tapped into the emotions a person feels whenever they're lonely/depressed/at a bad point. Whatever it was, it stuck with me for a very long time. And hearing it in all it's Susan Sarandon/Barry Bostwick glory on Monday night has inspired me to do something I've been putting off for a long time. Bear with me, it'll turn up eventually. I'm definitely gonna do it this time.

Until then, keep your eyes peeled ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment