Saturday 17 December 2011

Tinselitis #9: Let It Snow..!

No matter how hard I try, I'll never be able to repress my insatiable desire for a White Christmas. And every year the British weather threatens to fulfil my dreams with tantalising tales of incoming snowstorms and two-foot deep snow. We've come pretty close in recent years - last November featured some pretty amazing scenes, and catastrophic travel chaos - but this years' weather warnings proved to be nothing but a damp squib here in London.

I eagerly watched the weather reports all week to see details of the snow in the northern parts of the UK and severe weather warnings issued in Scotland and northern England. Hearing that the snow would reach London on Friday, I headed to bed on Thursday in a fit of excitement, hopelessly anticipating the beautiful white scene that would greet me as I rose on Friday morning. What did I get when I woke up? Rain.

Stupid, slushy rain that is to snow as I am to Barack Obama. I'm slowly giving up hope of ever seeing a white Christmas in London. In my head, I've already drafted, scraped, re-drafted, and composed a stern letter to the Met Office complaining about their rubbish forecasts. We're only eight days away from Christmas Day, and I will be keeping an eye out for the snow I've been promised. If I don't get it, next Christmas might need to be spent in Norway. Either that, or I'll lose my sanity. (Or, at least, the little bit I have left).

No comments:

Post a Comment